Þórsmörk Photography Day Tour | Highlands & South Coast
Get in touch with nature and immerse yourself in the extraordinarily lush surroundings of the Highlands oasis, Þórsmörk, with this incredible photography day tour in Iceland!
Situated in the south of Iceland, between the mighty Tindfjallajökull and Eyjafjallajökull glaciers, this enchanting mountain ridge is one of the most popular hiking areas in Iceland. Teeming with diverse flora and fauna, as well as a myriad of truly magnificent landscapes, it’s the perfect place for you to make the most of the long summer days as you take your photography skills forwards in leaps and bounds!
During this day tour, you’ll travel by super jeep along the breathtaking South Coast of Iceland, as you make your way closer towards this lush, natural paradise. You’ll notice the scenery becoming greener as you pass mossy lava fields, interspersed with charming farmhouses and the odd turf house or two.
Your first stop will be at the thundering Skógafoss waterfall. Plunging down with force from a height of 60 metres, it often yields a rainbow in its mist, making for a truly captivating scene. Depending on the conditions, you may then make a stop at the mystically hidden waterfall of Gljúfrabúi within a small gorge, or the intriguing Nauthúsagil ravine with its fairytale ambience and misty atmosphere.
As you head closer towards the Eyjafjallajökull glacier, you’ll arrive at the Gigjökull glacier tongue where you’ll make an exciting splash in your super jeep as you cross unbridged, glacial rivers before finally reaching Þórsmork.
The real heart of this oasis is situated between the rivers Krossá, Þröngá, and Markarfljót. This is where nature reigns supreme and you’ll have the opportunity to photograph birch forests, shrubs, moss and other vegetation thriving in the dense surrounds, set against spectacular geological wonders and volcanic mountain scenery.
The diverse landscape offers an abundance of opportunities for nature and wildlife photographers alike – there is even a good chance that you might run into an Arctic fox or two!
The highlight of the day will be when we hike into the mysterious Þakgil canyon, an impressive green valley surrounded by spiky mountainous peaks swathed in thick carpets of moss. You’ll be rewarded by the chance to capture the impossible serenity of this fairytale-like landscape that is almost too surreal to be true.
From there, we’ll make our way to Básar, one of the most beautiful locations in Þórsmörk, where you’ll be treated to sweeping views of the surrounding glaciers as the braided river systems snake across the valley floor below.
As the golden light of the Midnight Sun takes hold, we’ll begin making our way back towards Reykjavík. Make sure to leave some space on your memory cards as we near our final shooting destination, Seljalandsfoss, a stunning waterfall with a path that leads behind the cascade to provide photographers with 360-degree views.
If hiking is your passion and you love to connect with nature, then this Þórsmörk Photography Day Tour by super jeep is for you! Don’t miss out on your chance to explore Iceland’s most beautiful oasis. Check availability by choosing a date.
Good to know
- We are a local tour operator and travel agency authorised by the tourism board of Iceland.
- We offer small group tours with a maximum group size of 10-12. This way, you’ll get to know your photography guide and we can take you to shoot in unique places that aren’t suitable for larger groups.
- All our guests get a free collection of post-processing videos from our award-winning photographers worth over $1,500.
- On our tours we use comfortable vehicles to safely transport you to amazing locations.
- We are using only the best hotels available in Iceland.
- Our photo tours and workshops are guided by award-winning professional landscape photographers.
- We provide crampons and rubber boots for free to all our guests throughout the tour.
- During the tour, we give highly informative and easy-to-follow photography and post-processing lectures.
- Our photo guides will always help you in the field to make sure you will bring home stunning photos of Iceland.